Thursday, December 27, 2007

cosas (things)...

I'm nearing the end of week 2 here in Guanajuato and school has been going well, had food poisoning 3 times now, and the walk home from school hasn't gotten any easier. Homestay in combination with school has been helping with language comprehension. I've been thinking that I will take up reading CORREO, the local newspaper starting next week. Going to the movies has really been helpful as well. Now in regards to food poisoning, well, it's only been happening when I eat what my host mom cooks for me. I am not sure exactly what it is, but my suspicion is that she doesn't put things back immediately after say, pouring a glass of milk or something. Of course this is just a guess, but I also don't want to offend her. I left the house very early this morning before she could attempt to feed me and opted for Cafe Tál, a cafe on the way to school. I ate out all day and boy, did it feel great! I haven't been too worried about gaining weight here, as I climb a mountain just to go home everyday ;) The walk is so enjoyable--I sometimes stop to hang out with the kids on the street and set off fireworks. Que divertido! (how fun!)

I miss home more than ever nowadays since I don't know how much longer I will be around before starting my Peace Corps service and also knowing that most of you have returned home for winter break for a week or so. However, do know that I am thinking of all of you during the holidays.

I have been continuing my research on water purification and am trying to set up an appointment to visit the local water purification plant. I'm not too sure how this is going to work, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Another issue here that I have a hard time turning my back on is the baby I saw on the steps of a church, somewhat by the school just yesterday. Someone from the church took the baby in, but this is a huge problem in all of Mexico. Reproductive health education is lacking in Mexico because parents don't want the government to teach their children about prevention, HIV/AIDS, and STIs in school, but parents don't teach their children either, so one often sees 13-14 year olds who are pregnant. Abortion is illegal in all of Mexico, and these unwanted babies are either kept, left in the street, or left in front of a church. There are so many issues surrounding this problem and it makes me sad.

On a lighter note, salsa dancing has been going great~me and two friends from school have been going to a bar in the center of town, and also a gym 10 minutes or so from school. Me encanta!

No comments: